GENERAL VETERINARY SERVICES
ADVANCED VETERINARY SERVICES
Hydrotherapy… for Conditioning and Rehabilitation
We use Hydrotherapy (Underwater Treadmill) and our Indoor Pool for Dogs as part of a multi – modal approach to a Canine Rehabilitation or Conditioning program
Rehabilitating a dog with water has many benefits. One is decreased weight bearing through the joints, which reduces pain.
In the water, gentle range of motion of all four limbs is accomplished and strengthening is provided by the water resistance.
Neurological re-education for muscles occurs because they are used differently. There are also psychological benefits for dogs that occur because they are able to exercise without pain.
How do I know if Hydrotherapy is suitable for my dog?
We assess all dogs for suitability before recommending either pool or underwater treadmill therapy.
It’s very common for vets to simply recommend hydrotherapy after an orthopaedic procedure however just like any other treatments we prescribe we need to ensure your dog is fit and well enough to benefit positively from the therapy.
Our Assessment process ensures that your dog is fit enough to participate in a Hydrotherapy program
Ensuring sustainable comfort levels for your dog is our utmost priority in recommending this therapy, otherwise we risk doing more harm than good.
How is my Dog Assessed for a Hydrotherapy Program?
We have two ways of accepting dogs into our Hydrotherapy Program.
The first is through a comprehensive Rehabilitation Assessment performed by one of our Certified Canine Rehabilitation Veterinarians. This is a one and a half hour throrough nose to tail musculoskeletal examination where every joint is assessed for pain or discomfort.
Option 2 – Through your referring Vet
We can accept dogs into the program through a referral from YOUR veterinarian. Our Certified Hydrotherapist (Bec) will use the directions provided by your vet to design a suitable program for your dog.
For what conditions do you use Hydrotherapy?
We use Hydrotherapy for many different conditions. Some of these include:
- General fitness and strength training for Canine Athletes and Sporting dogs. Although your dog does not need to be a sporting dog at all. It’s a great option for active dogs that don’t get the exercise they need at home to stay fit and run off their energy.
- Senior dogs with mobility issues. Hydrotherapy is a fantastic option for Senior dogs that benefit from gentle exercise that doesn’t place strain on their ageing joints. In fact our Senior dogs absolutely love this therapy.
- Dogs recovering from illness. We use Hydrotherapy along with special therapeutic exercises to help dogs regin their strength and mobility after a debilitating illness.
- Post surgery mobility recovery. Due to the non weight bearing environment Hydrotherapy is a pain free way of delivering gentle exercise after orthopaedic surgery.
- To assist overweight dogs lose weight. Exercising in water burns up more calories than walking or running alone. This is why Hydrotherapy should always be recommended as part of a weight loss program for your dog.
How much does a Hydrotherapy Session cost?
Our Hydrotherapy fees start from $60 for a single 45 minute session. However we also offer packages for multiple sessions which vary according to your dog’s specific needs. Packages include standalone Hydrotherapy sessions or sessions combined with other Rehabilitation therapies.
👉For more information on packages available, please email our rehab team at firstname.lastname@example.org
My Dog has just had Cruciate Surgery. Will Hydrotherapy help with his recovery?
As with all therapies, we will need to assess your dog for suitability before we can decide whether Hydrotherapy is the best option for him right now. Please email our rehab team who will be able to help you out.
Is your Hydrotherapy team Qualified in Hydrotherapy ?
Assessing patient’s suitability for Hydrotherapy and delivering treatment is part of the formal certification in Canine Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine.
We have both vets and nurses Certified in Canine Rehabilitation as well as a Certified Hydrotherapist on our team. This ensures that your dog is in safe as well as qualified hands.
Are all Hydrotherapy Programs the same?
No. Each program is specifically designed to meet the needs of your dog’s specific condition taking into account:
- The nature of the illness or injury
- Your dog’s overall condition and fitness level
- Your dog’s pain levels