Canine Orthopaedics and Sports Medicine Centre (COSMA)
If you are a regular client – you know we have been working towards developing this unique facility for quite some time. Years in fact!
As a practice that has been performing advanced orthopaedic procedures for many years we recognised the real need for proper post operative rehabilitation no different to what you’d expect following surgery if you are a human.
Sadly – the recovery for our animal friends is commonly limited to cage confinement for weeks on end without any rehabilitation therapies so critical for optimal recovery and return to normal (pre-injury) activity.
More than Just Post Surgery Recovery
Of course – post surgery recovery is just ONE small part of what our rehab services can offer. Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine covers all kinds of musculo-skeletal injuries and conditions in our canine companions.
COSMA Services include:
- Canine Cruciate disease – Advanced diagnosis and treatment (Surgical and non surgical interventions)
- Sports Medicine – Assessment – Conditioning and Treatment including Gait Analysis (For performance dogs)
- Post orthopaedic surgery rehabilitation and care – including post spinal recovery
- Lameness diagnosis – using Musculoskeletal Ultrasound
- Minimally invasive diagnostics – Needle Arthroscopy
- Regenerative Medicine – Stem Cell Treatments
- Neurological disease Rehabilitation
- Pool therapy and Underwater Treadmill (Yes we have a heated indoor therapy pool)
- Laser Therapy – Acupuncture – Shockwave – Therapeutic exercises & Massage and MORE
24 Hour Rehabilitation Care
One of the most unique services we offer is our 24 Hour Rehabilitation Care. This is a convenient option for dog parents who want the convenience of checking in their dogs for rehab care without having to drop off and collect each day.
Many of our current patients come from a long way so this is the perfect solution for them.
Internationally Recognised Experience
We are proud to be a Facility Certified by Internationally known Board certified Specialists in Veterinary Orthopaedics – Rehabilitation & Sports Medicine. VOSM USA.
This means we have met the high standards required in Canine Rehabilitation – Sports Medicine and Regenerative Medicine.
We are committed to ongoing education in all areas of our practice to provide peace of mind that your pet is in good hands.
We commonly see patients in our general practice for orthopaedic conditions that we then refer internally to our Certified Rehabilitation Veterinarians & Surgeons for further detailed assessment and diagnostics.
This referral system works in the same way as do referrals from General Practice to Veterinary Specialists. The only difference with us is that we are all under one roof. Sometimes (availability permitting) we can even do next day referrals so you won’t have to wait too long.
Referrals for our Orthopaedic – Rehab and Sports Medicine Services are welcome. For this we start off with a full Rehab and Orthopaedic Assessment with one of our Certified Rehabilitation and Sports Medicine Veterinarians – Dr Malcolm Ware and Dr Rebecca Ainsworth. Both are USA certified in Canine Rehabilitation and perform advanced orthopaedic procedures.
- Subtle or difficult to diagnose lameness
- 2nd opinion diagnosis
- Issues affecting older patients, such as arthritis and hind end weakness
- Conditions affecting the performance of working, competition or otherwise athletic dogs
- Non-surgical neurologic diseases that affect mobility
- Post orthopaedic surgery including spinal surgery – rehabilitation
Our COSMA Team
Our Certified Veterinarians are Dr Malcolm Ware and Dr Rebecca Ainsworth. They are supported by Certified Techs Ashley and Rebecca and trainee Rehab Assistants Bree and Ellie.
Drs Malcolm Ware, Rebecca Ainsworth and Tech Ashlee qualified through the Canine Rehabilitation Institute in the U.S.A. Assistant Rebecca is certified through the University of Tennessee U.S.A. Our other techs are in training through the University of Tennessee.
How to Make an Appointment with our COSMA Team?
Our preferred method is via email where you can provide some of your pet’s background information and what you are expecting from us.
In addition we require the following information from your current vet to help us provide the best possible solutions for you.
- Recent X-Rays – relevant to the presenting problem
- Veterinary history including treatment recommendation
- Current medications your pet has been prescribed
- Any recent blood test or other diagnostic results
Once we have received your enquiry – our concierge will be in touch to organise an appointment for you.
Please feel free to contact us via email for any other related enquiries too.