Watch out for the Deadly Electrical Cord
If your place is anything like mine there’s probably a gadget or appliance hooked up to every possible powerpoint all over the house – especially during the holiday season.
And while you might be vigilant in keeping your pets away from obvious toxins – chocolate, grapes, chemicals and other chewable hazards, it’s easy to overlook the humble but deadly electrical cord.
Dogs – and especially Cats are curious creatures so that cool cord dangling from your new Christmas present could easily become the next boredom buster for them.
Dangers of Elecrical cords in PetsSadly – most electocutions are fatal. Your pet stands very little chance when her body’s zapped by 240 Volts of electricity – especially if she’s small.
And if your pet does survive, it’s likely she’s sustained some serious tissue and possibly some internal damage as well.
What to do if your pet is electrocuted
- Unplug the power cord from the outlet immediately or turn off the power
- Check if your pet is breathing – if not administer CPR
- If your pet is breathing – check her mouth for burns and apply a cold compress to the affected area
- Cover your pet with a blanket or towel to keep her warm. (She could be in shock so keeping her warm is essential)
- Take her to your vet immediately
Note: Even though your pet may look O.K to you and there aren’t any obvious burns, it does not mean that no damage has happened. Please still take her to your vet for a full examination.
Also – don’t give your pet any food or water after such an event unless instructed by your vet.