Many people wrongly assume that if a food is fine for us to eat and enjoy then it’s O.K to share it with our pets too.
While cats and dogs will and can eat a variety of foods, some contain toxins that can cause severe illness and even death in some cases.
Foods to keep your pets away from include:
- Macadamia Nuts
- Grapes and Raisins
- Onions and Garlic
- Fatty foods such as bacon and Gravy
- Preserved meats such as ham, salami etc
- Spoiled or mouldy foods
- Green potatoes and potato peels
- Yeast dough
- Sugar Free lollies and Gum
- Human medications – of any sort
And its not just foods that you need to be careful about.
There can be lots of other hazards around the home that can poison your pets.
- Ethylene Glycol – or antifreeze. Cats especially are attracted to its sweet taste
- Household glue – dogs love to chew on tubes and some can actually be tasty so beware of leaving any type of glue in handy reach
- Garden Fertilisers such as Blood and Bone and garden insecticides that contain organophosphates
- Snail or rat and mouse baits of any kind. They will most certainly kill your pet!
- Car batteries or batteries of any kind – Dogs love to chew on these and they can cause serious harm if ingested
And by the way – make sure you let the kids know about dangerous foods too. You don’t want them sneaking in a few chocolates or lollies to their special friends behind your back!